Andrea Radrizzani Sells Controlling Stake in Leeds United to 49ers Enterprises

image 7 16

Andrea Radrizzani, the chairman of Leeds United, has agreed to sell his controlling stake in the club to 49ers Enterprises. This American investment group, which owns the NFL franchise the San Francisco 49ers, has been a minority shareholder in Leeds since 2018 and will now take full ownership.

A New Era for Leeds United

The agreement between Aser Ventures and 49ers Enterprises for the purchase of the club has been confirmed by Leeds United. Both parties are currently working through the details, and further updates will be provided soon. The focus remains on a quick return to the Premier League for Leeds.

49ers Enterprises had increased its stake in Leeds to 44% in 2021, with the option of buying Radrizzani’s remaining 56% before January 2024. The full takeover was expected to happen this summer, but Leeds’ relegation last month led to intense negotiations and a revised valuation of close to £170m.

Radrizzani’s Legacy

This deal marks the end of Radrizzani’s six-year ownership of Leeds. He completed a full takeover from fellow Italian Massimo Cellino in 2017 and initially proved hugely popular. Radrizzani bought back Elland Road stadium, which had been in private ownership since 2004, and brought in fresh investment when 49ers Enterprises purchased its first 10% stake in 2018.

The appointment of Marcelo Bielsa soon after proved a masterstroke as Leeds won promotion back to the Premier League for the first time in 16 years. However, Radrizzani’s relationship with the Leeds fanbase began to sour when Bielsa was sacked in February 2022.

Despite promising that the club would not be involved in another survival fight, Leeds’ results failed to improve, and they were relegated. Radrizzani was absent from Elland Road when relegation was confirmed, choosing instead to remain in Italy to finalise his takeover of Sampdoria.

Looking Forward

The future of Leeds United now rests in the hands of 49ers Enterprises. The American investment group has steadily increased its stake in the club over the years and will now have full control. Leeds United fans will be eagerly waiting to see how this change in ownership will impact the club’s fortunes.

For more insights and updates on Leeds United, you might find these articles interesting:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments